Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) Information and Calendar
The CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) Classes at Children’s of Alabama follow the American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Course Guidelines. There are two (2) types of courses offered coordinated by the Nursing Professional Development Department.
- BLS Provider – available to all Children’s of Alabama Employees. (There is a $75 fee for NON-COA Personnel)
- BLS Instructor – open to anyone interested in becoming an instructor. (There is a $185 fee for NON-COA Personnel)
BLS for Healthcare Providers Certification Class
The American Heart Association (AHA) BLS Provider classes offered by Nursing Professional Development uses the HeartCode BLS Healthcare Provider program approved by AHA.
HeartCode BLS Marathon – consists of Online Portion & Hands-on Session:
- Online Portion- is an interactive computer module with patient case scenarios, mini games, test, evaluation and course completion certificate. It takes 60 – 90 minutes to complete.
- Hands-On- incorporates practice while watching videos, hands on AED training, Team Dynamics along with skills testing of 1 & 2 rescuer CPR on adults and infants by a BLS Instructor. The session takes approximately 60 minutes to complete.
The AHA BLS Provider eCard is issued when all parts are completed.
Heartcode BLS Marathon (in person, live class)
- The following link will take you to the BLS Marathon Class Request Form
- Once form is submitted, a “Thank you” for your submission checkmark will appear on your screen
- You will be registered for the class unless you receive notification that it is unavailable.
- Two weeks (14 days) prior to event, the online portion will be assigned in Children’s University, at that time an email notification of assigned time to attend class/hands on session will be sent.
- Complete online portion prior to attending class/hands on session
- Print Certificate of Completion and bring to class/hands on session or email to email@example.com (snapshot, .pdf or scan)
- Ecard will be sent to Children’s email address two (2) weeks after class/hands on session. (No outside email will be used.)
- View the BLS Marathons Information for 2024
Heartcode BLS Complete (RQI Skill Stations)
- The following link will take you to the BLS Complete Request Form
- BLS Complete is assigned at the beginning of each month
- Participant will have to complete the online modules and perform the “hands-on skills” at one of the BLS/PALS Skills Station (please note this is not the Simulation Center)
- Station Locations: 6th Dearth Team Room, NICU, ED Resuscitation Room, any time. One is available in Nursing Education, Suite #410 (M-F only from 8a-4p)
- Participant will have until the end of the month assigned to complete.
- Upon completion a Certificate and Ecard are generated.
- Participant should take a picture of information and send to their work email address for filing.
- View the BLS Complete Information for 2024
HeartCode BLS Complete - is an interactive computer module with patient case scenarios, mini games, test which takes 60 – 90 minutes to complete. Participant must go to a BLS/PALS Skills Station to complete the “Hands-On Skill”. A Certificate of completion and eCard are generated at the BLS/PALS Skills Station when activity is finished. Note: Copy of Certificate of Completion must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. (snapshot, pdf or scanned copy)
BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor Course
The American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor course is offered the third month of each quarter. It is open to everyone that meets the AHA guidelines to be a BLS Instructor. Pre-registration is required by submitting the following:
- The BLS Instructor Course Registration Form (print and complete)
- The Instructor Candidate Application (print and complete)
- A copy of your current BLS for Healthcare Provider Card
There is a $165 fee for NON- COA Personnel
Your completed forms, copy of your BLS card and fee (if applicable) should be submitted to Nursing Professional Development (4th floor Bradley Learning Center)
Within 21 days of the course an email will be sent as notification of the pre-course on-line module, “Instructor Essentials” being available for completion. The completion certificate must be submitted on the day the course is attended.
Prospective instructors will need to pick up materials needed in Nursing Professional Development.
Instructor Renewal Information
Instructor status must be renewed every 2 years per American Heart Association (AHA) Guidelines. The following criteria must be met to renew:
- Maintained current provider status as evident by current provider card (or) demonstration of acceptable provider skills and successful completion of provider written examination
- Submission of "AHA Instructor Renewal Checklist" with the dates of at least 4 classes taught within the 2 years of your instructor status.
- Attendance at required updates as required within the previous 2 years
- Be monitored teaching a Class and have an "Instructor Monitor Form" completed by a Training Center or Regional Faculty Member.
Your completed paperwork should be submitted to Elsie Anwah, in the Nursing Professional Development Department. The instructor card will be issued the month of your renewal.
Elsie Anwah, RN, MSN
Nursing Professional Development
Nursing Professional Development