Additional Forms Regarding Your Privacy Rights at Children’s of Alabama
Patients or their parents/legal guardians have certain privacy rights under HIPAA, including the right to:
- Look at or request a Copy of Your Child’s Medical Records. Many of your records are available for free on the Patient Portal.
- Request a correction or change to information you believe is inaccurate or incomplete. Request to Amend/Correct Record
- Obtain details about when Children's Hospital released information as allowed by law without your written permission. Request an Accounting of Disclosures of Medical Information.
- Request restrictions on how Children's Hospital may use and share your medical information.
- Request that we communicate with you in a certain way to protect your privacy. For example, if you prefer not to receive telephone calls while at work, you may ask that we not contact you there.
- Change your mind after signing an authorization form and withdraw your permission for Children's Hospital to release or share your information. Contact the Medical Information Services Release of Information Department through the Children’s operator- (205) 638-9100.
- File a privacy complaint with Children's of Alabama- contact the Privacy Officer at (205) 638-5959 or HIPAA@childrensal.org. Or go to the Corporate Compliance link on the Children’s website.
- Right to Designate a Personal Representative to receive, access, use, and disclose Protected Health Information on your behalf.
Important Reference Information: Business Associate Agreements
Vendors who work with Protected Health Information must sign HIPAA Business Associate Agreements as required per the HIPAA Regulations.
Vendors: Please refer to the attached Children's of Alabama HIPAA Business Associate Agreement. Please complete, sign and return it to HIPAA@childrensal.org. Thank you for your teamwork.
- Please contact the provider/practitioner you wish to observe at Children’s of Alabama to schedule your observation.
- Please complete and sign the Forms in the The Visiting Observer Request Form with Packet.
- Please scan the completed and signed form and packet information to HIPAA@ChildrensAL.org. If you have any questions, please contact the HIPAA Privacy Officer at 205-638-5959.
Health Information Exchanges (HIEs)
Children's of Alabama on-site and off-site locations participate in electronic exchanges of health information with other healthcare providers in the HIEs for treatment and other lawful purposes. These exchanges include EPIC Care Everywhere® (https://www.epic.com/careeverywhere) and Alabama One Health Record® (https://onehealthrecord.alabama.gov/). HIEs allow patient healthcare information to be shared among participating healthcare providers through a secure electronic network. This sharing allows the patient’s participating healthcare providers immediate electronic access to the patient’s health information. You may decline to participate or decide to participate again in the HIEs using their using OPT-OUT (decline) or OPT-(BACK)-IN FORMS. Each HIE has its own form to complete and return to the Children's of Alabama Privacy Officer, HIPAA@ChildrensAL.org
Please Note: Your decision to opt-out of participation in the HIEs, in full or in part, may cause a delay with the patient’s health information being sent to non-Children's of Alabama providers. The reason is the patient’s health information will no longer be sent electronically. This delay includes a patient’s emergency situations.