Please Note: All weeknight and weekend positions are currently filled. Please check back for further updates.
Volunteering at Children's of Alabama
We thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children’s of Alabama (COA). There are many volunteer opportunities within the hospital that may be of interest to you. You will see these additional areas listed under Volunteer Opportunities. We are accepting applications for teens 16 and older with parental permission; college students; and adults.
Note you may complete an application at any time. However we will discontinue interviews during the month of December due to the many holiday activities.
Should you be interested in becoming a COA volunteer please click the link to Volunteer Opportunities to learn more. Also, we ask you to think about the following:
- All volunteers must have received the influenza vaccination during flu season: September-April.
- All volunteers must receive a TB (Tuberculosis) blood test to establish a baseline for TB.
- You may be approached by someone not wearing a mask
- You may be approached by someone who has a fever
- You may be asked to escort a patient/family to a specific location in the hospital
- All volunteers must complete a minimum of 48 hours (three-hour shifts, once per week, for 16 weeks) for any volunteer assignment.
Below are the steps you will need to complete to become a volunteer
- Make Application online by clicking here – Apply Now
- Submit documentation of your immunizations. This can most likely be obtained from your local Health Department; or, if you are a student, at your school. We must have proof that you have received the following:
- Two MMR Vaccines
- Two Varicella Vaccines
- TDAP Vaccine:
- If you are 19 years of age or OLDER, you must have received ONE TDAP Vaccine since you have turned 19.
- If you are 18 years of age or YOUNGER, you must have received ONE TDAP vaccine within the past ten (10) years.
- Annual Influenza Vaccine: If you intend to volunteer during our flu season which is August 1st – March 31st
- We are no longer requiring the COVID-19 vaccine to volunteer. However, if you have had this vaccine, please email a copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card for recording purposes.
- Please forward a copy of your immunization documentation, and flu shot record to Michael Savela, Database & Compliance Coordinator at: Michael.Savela@childrensal.org
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding the above requirements, please contact Mr. Savela via email or at 205-638-9797.
- Upon completing the above steps, a volunteer coordinator will be reaching out to you to schedule an interview.
- If approved from the interview you will be assigned the online orientation.
- If you would like to start volunteering in the Fall of 2023, please apply in July.