VOLUNTEERING AT CHILDREN'S OF ALABAMA
We thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children’s of Alabama (COA). There are many volunteer opportunities within the hospital that may be of interest to you. You will see these additional areas listed under Volunteer Opportunities. We are accepting applications for teens 16 and older with parental permission; college students; and adults.
Note you may complete an application at any time. However we will discontinue interviews during the month of December due to the many holiday activities.
Should you be interested in becoming a COA volunteer please click the link to Volunteer Opportunities to learn more. Also, we ask you to think about the following:
- Whether you are at high risk for COVID
- All volunteers must have received the COVID-19 vaccination.
- All volunteers must have received the influenza vaccination during flu season: September-April.
- All volunteers must receive a TB (Tuberculosis) blood test to establish a baseline for TB.
- You may be approached by someone not wearing a mask
- You may be approached by someone who has a fever
- You may be asked to escort a patient/family to a specific location in the hospital
- All volunteers must complete a minimum of 48 hours (three-hour shifts, once per week, for 16 weeks) for any volunteer assignment.
Below are the steps you will need to complete to become a volunteer:
- Make Application online by clicking here – Apply Now
- Submit documentation of your immunizations. This can most likely be obtained from your local Health Department; or, if you are a student, at your school. We must have proof that you have received the following:
- Two MMR Vaccines
- Two Varicella Vaccines
- One TDAP Vaccine (within the last ten years)
- COVID-19 Vaccine(s). Must be fully vaccinated.
- Annual Influenza Vaccine: September-April
- Please forward a copy of your immunization documentation and Covid vaccine card to Sherry.Scarborough@childrensal.org or contact Mrs. Scarborough if you have any questions regarding these steps
- Upon completing the above steps, a volunteer coordinator will be reaching out to you to schedule an interview
- If approved from the interview you will be assigned the online orientation
As you complete each step, you will be directed to the next one as quickly as possible. To minimize the process, please pay careful attention to the instructions for each step. This will help us get you started volunteering as soon as possible.
For additional questions or concerns about volunteering at Children’s of Alabama, please call the Volunteer Center Monday-Friday between 9:00am-6:00pm at: 205-638-3231.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children’s of Alabama!