The CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) Classes at Children’s of Alabama follow the American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Course Guidelines. There are two (2) types of courses offered coordinated by the Nursing Professional Development Department.
- BLS Provider – available to all Children’s of Alabama Employees. (There is a $55 fee for NON-COA Personnel)
- BLS Instructor – open to anyone interested in becoming an instructor. (There is a $185 fee for NON-COA Personnel)
BLS for Healthcare Providers Certification Class
The American Heart Association (AHA) BLS Provider classes offered by Nursing Professional Development uses the HeartCode BLS Healthcare Provider program approved by AHA.
HeartCode BLS Marathon – consists of Online Portion & Hands-on Session:
- Online Portion- is an interactive computer module with patient case scenarios, mini games, test, evaluation and course completion certificate. It takes 60 – 90 minutes to complete.
- Hands-On- incorporates practice while watching videos, hands on AED training, Team Dynamics along with skills testing of 1 & 2 rescuer CPR on adults and infants by a BLS Instructor. The session takes approximately 60 minutes to complete.
The AHA BLS Provider eCard is issued when all parts are completed.
HeartCode BLS Complete - is an interactive computer module with patient case scenarios, mini games, test which takes 60 – 90 minutes to complete. Participant must go to a BLS/PALS Skills Station to complete the “Hands-On Skill”. A Certificate of completion and eCard are generated at the BLS/PALS Skills Station when activity is finished. Note: Copy of Certificate of Completion must be sent to email@example.com. (snapshot, pdf or scanned copy)
- The following link will take you to the BLS Request Form.
- Month of expiration will determine if assigned HeartCode Marathon or HeartCode Complete.
- Once form is submitted, a “Thank You” for your submission appears on your screen.
- You are registered for the class/date unless you receive notification that date is unavailable.
HeartCode BLS Marathon
- Date was confirmed at time of Request submission
- Two weeks (14 days) prior to event, the online portion will be assigned in Children’s University, at that time an email notification of assigned time to attend Hands-on session is sent.
- Complete online portion prior to attending assigned hands on session
- Print Certificate of Completion and must bring to hands on session or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (snapshot, pdf or scan)
Within two (2) weeks of attending hands on session, ecard will be sent to Children’s email address. (No outside emails will be used)
HeartCode BLS - Complete
- The BLS Complete is assigned beginning of each month in Children’s University.
- Participant will have to complete the online skills & hands on at a BLS/PALS Skills Station (please note this is not the Simulation Center).
- Participant will have until the end of their expiration month to complete.
- Simulation Stations are located in various areas of the hospital.
- Certificate of Completion and ecard are generated when complete.
- Copy of Certificate must be emailed to email@example.com. (snapshot, pdf or scan
- Once Certificate of Completion is received, it will be completed in Children’s University.
BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor Course
The American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for Healthcare Providers Instructor course is offered the third month of each quarter. It is open to everyone that meets the AHA guidelines to be a BLS Instructor. Pre-registration is required by submitting the following:
- The BLS Instructor Course Registration Form (print and complete)
- The Instructor Candidate Application (print and complete)
- A copy of your current BLS for Healthcare Provider Card
There is a $165 fee for NON- COA Personnel
Your completed forms, copy of your BLS card and fee (if applicable) should be submitted to Nursing Professional Development (4th floor Bradley Learning Center)
Within 21 days of the course an email will be sent as notification of the pre-course on-line module, “Instructor Essentials” being available for completion. The completion certificate must be submitted on the day the course is attended.
Prospective instructors will need to pick up materials needed in Nursing Professional Development.
Instructor Renewal Information
Instructor status must be renewed every 2 years per American Heart Association (AHA) Guidelines. The following criteria must be met to renew:
- Maintained current provider status as evident by current provider card (or) demonstration of acceptable provider skills and successful completion of provider written examination
- Submission of "AHA Instructor Renewal Checklist" with the dates of at least 4 classes taught within the 2 years of your instructor status.
- Attendance at required updates as required within the previous 2 years
- Be monitored teaching a Class and have an "Instructor Monitor Form" completed by a Training Center or Regional Faculty Member.
Your completed paperwork should be submitted to Elsie Anwah, in the Nursing Professional Development Department. The instructor card will be issued the month of your renewal.
Elsie Anwah, RN, MSN
Nursing Professional Development
Nursing Professional Development