Preparing for Your Visit
We want you and your child to receive the best patient- and family-centered care possible. Please plan to allow 2-3 hours for your specialty care visits as our providers normally request for your child to have lab work or additional testing (such as renal ultrasound, VCUG, DMSA scan) completed at the time of your visit. Sometimes delays cannot be avoided. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding if a delay occurs during your visit.
Pediatric Nephrology outpatient clinic appointments with our providers (general clinic, hypertension clinic, renal transplant clinic, etc.) take place at the Children's of Alabama main campus in the Lowder/McWane building in Clinic 7 at:
1600 7th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
In the main lobby on the first floor, look for and follow signs leading to the Specialty Clinics. At the end of the hallway, take a right and continue until you see the pink sign for Clinic 7 on the right.
New Patient Forms:
What to Bring:
- All medications your child takes (or a list of the medications including dosages)
- The name(s) of your child's primary doctor(s)
- Your health insurance card
- Co-payment for insurance (if applicable)
- Plan to arrive at the clinic 7 window no later than 15 minutes before your earliest scheduled test or appointment time to allow time for registration. Please plan to allow an additional 15-20 minutes to find parking and arrive inside the hospital.
- Patients should be accompanied by a legal guardian. If someone else is bringing your child, that person should know the child's medical history and you must sign a "consent to treat" form. Please contact our office before the day of the appointment to discuss these details. We cannot offer treatment without a signed consent form.
- If your child arrives more than 45 minutes late for a clinic appointment, you may need to reschedule the appointment or, if possible, your child may be seen after the last scheduled patient arrives. To reschedule or cancel appointments, please call our office at 205-638-9781 or toll-free at 866-562-1153.
Information and resources available at childrensal.org/billing will help you to understand the medical billing process associated with visits to Children's of Alabama. Separate bills for services including (but not limited to) laboratory, surgery, radiology, Children's of Alabama facility fees, and UAHSF physician professional fees may be issued for hospital-based outpatient clinic visits. Please visit the Children's of Alabama billing link listed above for FAQs and additional information. For questions related to Children's of Alabama inpatient hosiptal and outpatient clinic charges, please call: 844-750-8950 or 205-638-5600.