Join us in bringing autism best practices to primary care across Alabama!
Why ECHO Autism?
Autism affects one out of every 68 children in the United States. Children and adolescents with autism have difficulties with social skills and communication, and require a plethora of services and supports to help them reach their full potential. In addition:
- 50-80% have trouble with sleep
- 40-80% have GI issues
- More than half have co-occurring anxiety or behavioral difficulties
- There is a severe shortage of subspecialty providers in Alabama, and wait lists are very long
- Parents and families need medical support in their home communities
How will ECHO Autism help me?
Through ECHO Autism, you will increase your knowledge of and self-efficacy with:
- Evidence-based practices for screening and diagnosis of autism
- Common medical and behavioral concerns among children with autism
- Successful office visits for children with autism and other behavioral concerns
- Identification of resources for children with autism and their families
You can make a big difference for families in your community!
Contact coordinator Charlene Rhoades at email@example.com or 205-638-9254 to sign up!
Project ECHO: Autism Registration Form (PDF)
How to Submit a Case for ECHO: Autism:
Please complete the Case Presentation Form that best describes your case and email it to Charlene Rhoades at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 205-638-5089:
Meet our Team:
- Justin Schwartz, MD, Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician and ECHO Autism Director
- Sarah O’Kelley, PhD, Child Psychologist
- Laura Barefield, MD, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
- Suzanne Geerts, MS, RD, Dietitian
- Bama Hager, PhD, Parent Expert and Program Manager, Autism Society of Alabama
- Lizzie Griffith, LGSW, Social Worker and Coordinator, Regional Autism Network (Region 5)
- Tracy Cron, Parent Expert
All meetings are on Thursdays from 11:45 a.m–1:15 p.m.
- 8/16 - What is Autism?
- 8/30 - While You Wait
- 9/13 - Constipation & ASD
- 9/27 - Feeding Issues & ASD
- 10/11 - Sleep & ASD
- 10/25 - Irritability
- 11/8 - ADHD & ASD [3 week skip through Thanksgiving]
- 11/29 - Anxiety & ASD
- 12/13 - Special Education [3 week skip through Christmas]
- 1/3 - Resources
- 1/17 - Supporting Families
- 1/31/2019 - Intro to ABA