Pediatric Simulation Center
Welcome to the Pediatric Simulation Center at Children’s of Alabama. The Center creates a safe, realistic environment allowing health care providers and students to increase their knowledge, hone their skills, and practice teamwork in the context of real life patient scenarios. The Pediatric Simulation Center at Children's of Alabama has more than 6,000 visitors per year and is the only pediatric simulation center in the state.
Our vision for the Children’s of Alabama Pediatric Simulation Center is to be a multidisciplinary center of excellence that provides high-fidelity simulation to promote education, research, and delivery of safe, innovative health care for children.
The Pediatric Simulation Center has:
- 11 high fidelity simulators ranging in age from premature infant to adult
- 25 skills trainers: 3 CPR mannequins, 4 CVL torsos and necks, a premie task trainer, 9 airway trainers, 2 UVC trainers, 3 IV arms, 2 IV pads, and 1 tracheostomy baby
- 8 faculty and staff members - 2 MDs, 4 RNs, 1 Research Director, and 1 Office Associate
- 38 adjunct faculty
The Pediatric Simulation Center at Children’s of Alabama was established in 2007 to provide physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, students and other health care professionals with opportunities to perform common medical procedures and respond to rare, complex conditions and life threatening emergencies.
With the help of our supporters, the Center continues to grow and has nine simulators ranging in age from newborn to teen. Three of the simulators are wireless and can be used off-site. Last year we saw more than 5,000 visitors and conducted more than 900 simulations. Our staff strives to maintain our vision of a multidisciplinary center of excellence that utilizes high-fidelity simulation to promote education, research, and the delivery of safe, innovative health care for children.
The Center’s mission is to integrate simulation throughout Children’s of Alabama in a structured learning environment that promotes excellence in clinical care, patient safety, and education for all pediatric healthcare practitioners and care teams.
We hold a basic assumption for every learner that visits our center:
Everyone participating in activities at the Children’s of Alabama Pediatric Simulation Center is intelligent, well-trained, and dedicated to improve their care for children.
Over the past five years, the Pediatric Simulation Center has conducted...
- 70 Mock Codes
- 32 PALS sessions
- 46 NRP sessions
- 34 Trauma simulations
- 98 nursing service orientation (NSO) simulations
- 17 national and local podium presentations
- 37 IRB approved research studies
- 41 research posters at national and international conferences
- 27 trips to Children’s South
- and consumed 1800 pounds of candy!