What is spirituality?
Spirituality describes the ways we find meaning, hope, comfort and inner peace. Many individuals find spirituality through religion. Some find it through music, art or a connection with nature. Others find it in within the values and principles they uphold.
How is spirituality related to health?
Some say that the body, mind and spirit are connected. The state of any given one can have an effect on the well-being of the others.
Some research shows that positive beliefs, comfort and strength gained from meditation and prayer can contribute to healing and a sense of well-being. Improving your spiritual health may not cure an illness, but it may help you feel more at ease.
What is spiritual distress?
Spiritual distress affects all of us in various ways. Feel free to contact a chaplain if a patient or a patient's loved one is:
- struggling to make sense out of what is happening
- requesting prayer or a religious sacrament/ritual (anointing, baptism, Eucharist, etc.)
- feeling isolated or lonely
- processing a new diagnosis or a significant change in a current diagnosis
- facing an ethical dilemma or decision
- grieving a loss or death