Due to COVID-19 the following restrictions are in place for the Surgical and General Anesthesia Imaging areas:
- Two parents/caregivers are allowed to bring the child
- Caregiver and patient are requested to wear a mask while in the facility
- No other visitors, including siblings allowed
- If your child is ill, please call the clinic or Doctor’s office before arrival for additional instructions
- Do not visit if you have flu-like symptoms and/or cough, fever and/or shortness of breath
Welcome to Children’s of Alabama Benjamin Russell One Day Surgery. We are a 40-bed unit located on the third floor of the Benjamin Russell building on the Children’s of Alabama campus. We specialize in preparing patients and families for surgery, caring for patients after surgery and educating families on what to expect after discharge. We have staff that is specially trained to take care of your child throughout the surgical process, including a Child Life Therapist who can help guide your child through the surgical journey in a way they can understand or simply help put them at ease. Our focus is on making your visit with us a positive experience. On this site, you will find some helpful tips and information that may be useful to you before, during and after your stay with us.
Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children
3rd floor Benjamin Russell building
1600 5th Ave. South
Birmingham, AL 35233
If you have an appointment in our general anesthesia Imaging area please follow the link to the GA Imaging for more information.
To help protect our patients from respiratory illness, between October 1st and April 1st, visitors to our surgical areas and inpatient units must be at least 12 years of age and illness symptom free.
View Map to Benjamin Russell Facility (5th Avenue Parking Deck)
Use the crosswalk on level 2 when exiting the 5th avenue parking deck and it will take you to the 2nd floor of the hospital. As you enter the hospital you will take the public elevators to the right of the information desk and go to the 3rd floor. As you exit the elevator hallway, you will be at the Preop registration desk where you can check in.
One vehicle per patient may be parked at no charge. Please bring your parking ticket with you to One Day surgery
Common Surgical Services Provided
- Outpatient, post-operative admission and inpatient procedures
- ENT (ear tubes, tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy, cochlear implant, tympanomastoidectomy)
- General (gastrostomy tubes, central lines, mass removal, hernias)
- Orthopedics (fracture repairs, spinal fusions)
- Genitourinary (circumcision, orchiopexy, hypospadius, cystoscopy)
- Neurosurgery (shunts, craniotomy, Chiari decompression)
- Ophthalmology (eye muscle surgery)
- Pulmonary (laryngoscopy, bronchoscopy)
- GI (upper & lower endoscopy)
- Plastics (craniosynostosis, cleft lip, cleft palate)
- Dental (cavity repair)
- Orthopedic Hand specialty (polydactyly, mass removal, tendon release)
APASS Pre-anesthesia Evaluation
If your child is scheduled to have general anesthesia, please complete an APASS Online Patient Questionnaire at least 2-3 business days prior to the surgery, procedure or imaging scan.