Location: 1940 Elmer J. Bissell Road, Birmingham, AL 35243
The Children's South Pediatric Outpatient Center, located at Interstate-459 and Acton Road south of Birmingham, serves patients from newborn to 21 years of age. Children's South provides another location for Children's Health System's renowned outpatient surgery services, specialty care clinics and After Hours care.
Children's South Specialty Clinics has the capacity to accommodate 30,000 - 40,000 visits per year. These specialties include:
- Pediatric Imaging Center (PIC): provides x-ray, CT (cat scan), MRI, ultrasound and sedation imaging services.
- Laboratory: comprehensive laboratory services.
- One Day Surgery: provides care for patients undergoing outpatient procedures involving general anesthesia for diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
What to Bring to an Appointment
- Doctor's name(s)
- Insurance card
- Co-payment for insurance, if applicable
- List of child's medication(s)
- List of questions you may have for the doctor or nurse
- Books or games
- Snacks or formula (Please do not bring food if your child must not have anything to eat or drink before the appointment.)
Insurance and demographic (address, phone #, etc.) information is confirmed at every visit.
Permission to Treat
At least one parent or legal guardian must accompany all minor patients. If someone other than a legal guardian or parent will accompany your child, please ensure you provide them with a written, signed "Permission to Treat" slip. Please include the name of the person who will accompany your child as well as their relationship to your child in the permission slip.
Please make sure you have a referral from your Primary Care Physician before the specialty visit, if this is required by your insurance. Know the services your insurance plan covers so that you can prepare for and be involved in the care of your child at Children's of Alabama.
You may receive more than one bill for the care provided to your child at Children's of Alabama. The bill you receive from Children's of Alabama will not include the doctor's fee or reading fee for any x-ray or lab work. If you have questions about your Children's bill, please call: 205-212-1247 or 1-866-775-3741.
Plentiful free parking is available in the surface lot and below-ground parking areas at Children's South.
Outpatient Surgery: Weekdays 6 a.m. until 4 p.m.
After Hours: Hours of Operation - Monday - Friday 5:00 to 10:00 p.m. Saturday - Sunday 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Specialty Care clinics: Weekdays by appointment only
Download a printable map for Children's South