25 Healthy Snacks for Kids
When a snack attack strikes, refuel with these nutrition-packed snacks.
Easy, Tasty (and Healthy) Snacks
You may need an adult to help with some of these snacks.
- Parfait: Layer vanilla yogurt and mandarin oranges or blueberries in a tall glass. Top with a sprinkle of granola.
- Inside-Out Sandwich: Spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey. Wrap around a sesame breadstick.
- Rocky Road: Break a graham cracker into bite-size pieces. Add to low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few miniature marshmallows.
- Mini Pizza: Toast a whole-wheat English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. Then roll it up.
- Sandwich Cut-Outs: Make a sandwich on whole grain bread. Cut out your favorite shape using a big cookie cutter. Eat the fun shape and the edges, too!
- Banana Split: Top a banana with low-fat vanilla and strawberry frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with your favorite whole-grain cereal.
- Apple Pie Oatmeal: Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers.
- Microwave a cup of tomato or vegetable soup and enjoy with whole-grain crackers.
- Fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on hot popcorn.
- Peel a banana and dip it in yogurt. Roll in crushed cereal and freeze.
- Spread celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Top with raisins.
- Stuff a whole-grain pita pocket with ricotta cheese and Granny Smith apple slices. Add a dash of cinnamon.
- Mix together ready-to-eat cereal, dried fruit and nuts in a sandwich bag for an on-the-go snack.
- Smear a scoop of frozen yogurt on two graham crackers and add sliced banana to make a yummy sandwich.
- Microwave a small baked potato. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.
- Make snack kabobs. Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
- Toast a whole-grain waffle and top with low-fat yogurt and peaches.
- Mix together low-fat cream cheese, mixed dried fruit bits and shelled sunflower seeds. Spread on a toasted English muffin.
- Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for thirty seconds for a delicious smoothie.
- Make a mini-sandwich with tuna or egg salad on a whole-grain dinner roll.
- Sprinkle grated Monterey Jack cheese over a corn tortilla; fold in half and microwave for twenty seconds. Top with salsa.
- Spread peanut butter on apple slices.
Dip it! Bonus Snacks
Dip baby carrots and cherry tomatoes in low-fat ranch dressing.
Dip strawberries or apple slices in low-fat yogurt.
Dip pretzels in mustard.
Dip pita chips in hummus.
Dip graham crackers in applesauce.
Dip baked tortilla chips in bean dip.
Dip animal crackers in low-fat pudding.
Dip bread sticks in salsa.
Dip a granola bar in low-fat yogurt.
Dip mini-toaster waffles in cinnamon applesauce.
For more healthy eating tips, visit www.eatright.org.