- Residency: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Medical School: George Washington University School of Medicine
- Internship: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- American Board of Pediatrics: Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatric Infectious Diseases: Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Dr. Whitley is a Distinguished Professor of Pediatrics, Loeb Eminent Scholar Chair in Pediatrics, Professor of Pediatrics, Microbiology, Medicine and Neurosurgery, Division Chair, Vice Chair for Research, Associate Director for Drug Discovery and Development, Comprehensive Cancer Center. He is Past President of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (2010), representing more than 9,000 physicians, scientists and other healthcare professionals.