- Residency: Johns Hopkins Hospital (1992)
- Medical School: University of Tennessee, Memphis (1989)
- Fellowship: Johns Hopkins, Baltimore (1994)
- American Board of Pediatrics: Pediatrics (1970)
- American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Pediatric Emergency Medicine (1970)
Dr. Bernard is a Professor whose primary area of interest is child abuse medicine. He is also involved in the areas of medical trauma and airway management issues. He is Chair of the Clinical Outcomes Committee for Children's of Alabama.