University of Alabama at Birmingham; Obesity Research
Pediatric weight management, pediatric psychology
Licensed Psychologist (Alabama) #2094
American Psychological Association (APA); Society for Pediatric Psychology (SPP); The Obesity Society (TOS); Association for Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS)
Honors and Awards
2005 – 2008 Dean’s List, University of Minnesota; 2007 Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology; 2008 Phi Kappa Phi, All-Discipline Academic Honor Society; 2008 Phi Beta Kappa, Liberal Arts and Sciences Honor Society; 2008 High Distinction, B.A. in Psychology, University of Minnesota; 2011 University of Florida College of Public Health and Health Professions Outstanding Research Award; 2011,12,13 University of Florida Center for Pediatric Psychology and Family Studies Research Grant Award; 2013,14 University of Florida Office of Research Travel Grant; 2013,14 University of Florida Graduate Student Council Travel Award; 2014 Society of Pediatric Psychology Outstanding Student Poster Award; 2015 Society of Pediatric Psychology Outstanding Student Poster Award; 2016 University of Alabama at Birmingham Postdoctoral Research Day Best Oral Presentation Award, Second Place ; 2016 University of Alabama at Birmingham Nutrition Obesity Research Center’s Creativity is a Decision Award, Postdoctoral Award Recipient ; 2017 University of Alabama at Birmingham Postdoctoral Research Day Best Oral Presentation Award, Second Place ; 2017 – 2018 University of Alabama at Birmingham Nutrition Obesity Research Center’s Named New Investigator
Notable Publications and Presentations
1. Gowey, M.A., Lim, C.S., Dutton, G.R., Silverstein, J., Dumont-Driscoll, M., & Janicke, D.M. Executive function and dysregulated eating behaviors in pediatric obesity. (2017). Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 1-12. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsx091
2. Utzinger, L., Gowey, M.A., Zeller, M., Jenkins, T., Engel, S., Rofey, D., Inge, T., & Mitchell, J. on behalf of the Teen Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (Teen-LABS) Consortium. (2016). Loss of control eating and eating disorders in adolescents before bariatric surgery. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49(10), 947-952.
3. Gowey, M.A., Reiter-Purtill, J., Becnel, J., Peugh, J., Mitchell, J., & Zeller, M. for the TeenView Study Group. (2016). Weight-related correlates of dysregulation in adolescent and young adult (AYA) females with severe obesity. Appetite, 99, 211-218. DOI:10.1016/j.appet.2016.01.020
4. Gowey, M.A., Lim, C.S., Clifford, L.M., & Janicke, D.M. (2014). Disordered eating and health-related quality of life in overweight and obese children. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 39(5), 552-561.
5. Gowey, M. A., & Chandler-Laney, P. C. (2018). Children's food and satiety responsiveness in association with post-prandial glucose following a standardized liquid meal. Clinical obesity, 8(1), 39-42.