Pediatric Hematology Oncology, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Children with disorders of the blood, especially sickle cell disease, thalassemia, disorders of iron metabolism, and marrow failure syndromes including aplastic anemia.
Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology Oncology
American Society of Hematology, American Society of Pediatric Hematology Oncology. American Society of Nephrology
Honors and Awards
Castle Connolly Top Doctors. Best Doctors in America. Department of Pediatrics Excellence in Teaching Award. Member, American Society of Hematology Guidelines for Sickle Cell Disease Management
Notable Publications and Presentations
1. Aban, I., Baddam, S., Hilliard, L., Howard, T., Feig, D., Lebensburger J., “Severe Anemia Early in Life as a Risk Factor for Sickle Cell Kidney Disease.” Blood. 2017 Jan 19; 129(3)385-387. PMID:27919909
2. Rushton, T., Aban, I., Young, D., Hilliard, L. Howard, T. Lebensburger, J., “Hydroxycarbamide for Sickle Cell Patients with Silent Cerebral Infarcts: Outcomes and Patient Preference.” British Journal of Haematology. 2017 Jan 20. PMID: 28107562.
3. Jason Payne, MD, Inmaculada Aban, PhD, Lee M. Hilliard, MD, Jennifer Madison, CPhT, Christina Bemrich-Stolz, MD, MSPH, Thomas H Howard, MD, Amanda Brandow, DO, MS, Emily Waite, PharmD, Jeffrey D Lebensburger, DO, MSPH. Impact of Early Analgesia on Hospitalization Outcomes for Sickle Cell Pain Crisis. Pediatric Blood and Cancer. 2018 Aug27:e272420. PMID: 30151977
4. Krishnaveni Sirigaddi MBBS, Inmaculada Aban, PhD, Amelia Jantz, CRNP, Brandi M. Pernell DNP, Lee M. Hilliard, MD, Smita Bhatia MD, Jeffrey D Lebensburger DO MSPH. Outcomes of Febrile Events in Pediatric Patients with Sickle Cell Anemia. Pediatric Blood and Cancer. 2018 Aug 1 e27379. PMID:29891565
5. Schlappi C, Kulkarni V, Palabindela P, Bemrich-Stolz C, Howard T, Hilliard L, Lebensburger J.Outcomes in Mild to Moderate Thrombocytopenia. Pediatrics. 2018 Jun 11 PMID:2989156
Dr. Lebensburger is Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Dr. Lebensburger's primary focus involves children with disorders of the blood, especially sickle cell disease, thalassemia, disorders of iron metabolism, and marrow failure syndromes including aplastic anemia. His research focuses on linking knowledge from basic science to clinical care (translational research) especially in sickle cell disease. A long term goal of the research is gene therapy for blood disorders.