The Muscular Dystrophy Clinic at Children’s of Alabama offers a multidisciplinary team approach in the diagnosis, treatment and continuing care of children with neuromuscular diseases. Supported in part by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), we provide comprehensive medical care to a variety of neuromuscular illnesses.
1600 7th Avenue South
McWane Building, Clinic 6
Birmingham, AL 35233
Each year, we care for more than 200 patients from around the southeast with a wide range of neuromuscular disorders including:
- Becker Muscular Dystrophy (BMD)
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT)
- Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP)
- Congenital Muscular Dystrophy
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
- Emery-Dreifuss Muscular Dystrophy
- Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD)
- Friedrich’s Ataxia
- Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy
- Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
Our multidisciplinary team works to coordinate the majority of patient care into one same-day visit.
Specialists in clinic:
- Genetic Counselors
- Palliative Care
- Pulmonary Medicine with Respiratory Therapist
- Rehabilitation Medicine with Physical and Occupational Therapist
- Social Work
Endocrine referrals available.
Individuals suspected by their physician of having neuromuscular disorders included in the MDA's program have access to a network of services. The MDA medical staff can advise about the initial diagnosis and recommend measures to medically manage neuromuscular disease. Follow-up care ranges from management of symptoms to medical intervention designed to assist individuals in maintaining the highest possible quality of life.