Muscular Dystrophy Care Center
The Muscular Dystrophy and Neuromuscular Clinic at Children’s of Alabama offers a multidisciplinary team approach in the diagnosis, treatment and continuing care of children with neuromuscular diseases. Supported in part by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) and Cure SMA, we provide comprehensive medical care to a variety of neuromuscular illnesses.
1600 7th Avenue South
McWane Building, Clinic 6
Birmingham, AL 35233
Phone Number-New Patients:
Each year, we care for more than 200 patients from around the southeast with a wide range of neuromuscular disorders including:
- Becker Muscular Dystrophy (BMD)
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT)
- Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP)
- Congenital Muscular Dystrophy
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
- Emery-Dreifuss Muscular Dystrophy
- Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD)
- Friedrich’s Ataxia
- Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy
- Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
Our multidisciplinary team works to coordinate the majority of patient care into one same-day visit.
Specialists in clinic:
- Genetic Counselors
- Palliative Care
- Pulmonary Medicine with Respiratory Therapist
- Rehabilitation Medicine with Physical and Occupational Therapist
- Social Work
Endocrine referrals available.
Individuals suspected by their physician of having neuromuscular disorders included in the MDA's program have access to a network of services. The MDA medical staff can advise about the initial diagnosis and recommend measures to medically manage neuromuscular disease. Follow-up care ranges from management of symptoms to medical intervention designed to assist individuals in maintaining the highest possible quality of life.