The Joseph S. Bruno Pediatric Heart Center in the Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children fulfills the dream of having the cardiovascular (heart) patient and family at the center of care. This "heart hospital within a hospital" is built upon a single platform of care that places key services in three connected buildings.
This new single platform of care includes:
- A state-of-the-art 20 room CVICU (Intensive Care for Heart Patients)
- Four dedicated heart specific ECMO suites (a type of pediatric heart/lung bypass treatment)
- Heart specific operating rooms
- Hybrid catheterization lab (both a cath lab and surgical suite)
- Catheterization laboratories
- A dedicated same day and post-anesthesia care unit
- CT scanner with minimum radiation and advanced MRI technology
- Three dimensional image mapping which minimizes radiation
- Children's and UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham) staff sharing human and technical resources in the care of both pediatric and adult heart disease patients.
- Easy access to the UAB high-risk obstetric birthing suites and regional neonatal intensive care unit
A dedicated team of heart doctors, nurses and other medical professionals join forces to help each patient to reach his or her full potential. In addition, social workers, child life therapists, counselors, nutritionists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and chaplains support this team and our patients and their families. This commitment to patient-centered care shows that Children's of Alabama truly lives the motto "Healthcare as Amazing as Their Potential."
Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant
Cardiac Imaging (CTA/MRI/Echocardiography Lab)
Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU)
Connective Tissue Disorders and the Marfan Syndrome Clinic
Inpatient Telemetry Units (CCU)
Fetal/Perinatal Cardiology (UAB)
Adult Congenital Heart Disease (UAB)