Children's SHINE Clinic is a comprehensive center designed to address the needs of one of Alabama's most common health issues for children and adolescents, childhood obesity. Although many children and adolescents who are overweight are not physically ill, being overweight puts them at risk for more serious long term health issues, such as diabetes and high blood pressure, as well as psychosocial difficulties (e.g. peer teasing, depression).
The Children's Shine Clinic can assist children who are overweight and their families establish healthy habits to achieve their overall goals through a variety of services:
Weight Management Clinic
- Individual treatment and evaluation of children and adolescents
- Patients progress is monitored by a pediatrician
- Interdisciplinary focus: Pediatrician, Surgeon, Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Dietitian, Physical Therapist, and Psychologist
- All Bariatric surgeries candidates are referred to UAB at age 18.
- Select adolescents who are severely overweight are considered
- Meet specific criteria:
- Physically mature
- Documented attempt to lose weight for at least 6 months
- Documented health condition caused by being severely overweight
1940 Elmer J. Bissell Road
Birmingham, AL 35243