Associate Professor, Associate Professor / Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program / Clinical Director, Lowder SCTU
- Residency: University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Chattanooga, TN
- Medical School: University of South Carolina
- Fellowship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Internship: University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Chattanooga, TN
- UnderGraduate: Davidson College
- American Board of Pediatrics: Pediatrics (1970)
- American Board of Pediatrics - Hematology-Oncology (1970)
Honors and Awards
Laura Rosenberg Fellow (2003-04), Resident of the Year (2000), Intern of the Year (1998), A. Hines McWaters Medical Scholarship (1994-1996), Univ of So Carolina Faculty & Staff Scholarship (1994-1996), So Carolina Medical Association Scholarship (1994-1995)
Dr. Chewning is Assistant Professor of Pediatrics Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program Currently, Dr. Chewning's research focus is translational studies for the prevention and treatment of graft versus host disease. Dr. Chewning is developing novel mouse models exploring the role of CD4+ T cell lineages in mediating graft versus host disease. Dr. Chewning is also designing clinical research protocols for mechanisms of chronic graft versus host disease in pediatric patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
American Society of Hematology, American Society for Blood & Marrow Transplantation, Children's Oncology Group, Fellow-American Academy of Pediatrics
1. Su WT, Chewning J, Abramson S, Rosen N, et al. Surgical Management and Outcome of Osteosarcoma Patients with Unilateral Pulmonary Metastases. J Pediatric Surg. 39:418. 2004. 2. Chewning JH, Gudme CN, Hsu KC, Selvakumar A, and Dupont B. KIR2DS1-Positive NK Cells Mediate Alloresponse Against the C2 HLA-KIR Ligand Group in vitro. J Immunol. 179:854. 2007. 3. Yu J, Heller G, Chewning J, Kim S, Yokoyama WM, and Hsu K. Hierarchy of the Human Natural Killer Cell Response is Determined by Class and Quantity of Inhibitory Receptors for Self HLA-B and HLA-C Ligands. J Immunol. 179:5977. 2007. 4. Chewning JH, Castro-Malaspina H, Jakubowski A, Kernan NA, et al. Fludarabine-Based Conditioning Secures Engraftment of Second Hematopoietic Stem Cell Allografts (HSCT) in the Treatment of Initial Graft Failure. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 13:1313. 2007. 5. Chewning JH, Dugger KJ, Chaudhuri TR, Zinn KR, Weaver CT. Bioluminescence-Based Visualization of CD4 T cell dynamics using a T lineage-specific luciferase transgenic model. BMC Immunol. 10:44. 2009.