Children’s of Alabama offers a child life internship designed to provide students with experiences in a health care environment. Internship training is one piece of what is required for those students who are planning a career as a child life specialist. Internship opportunities are provided twice a year. The internship is a 15 week, 40 hours a week, full time commitment. The first week will be an orientation week to get interns familiar with the hospital as well as various services and programs offered. All interns will have two, six-week rotations and one, one-week rotation.
- Internships are offered to currently enrolled bachelor’s or master’s level students whose career focus is to become a Child Life Specialist. For legal purposes, applicants must be affiliated with an academic program throughout the duration of the internship session. Proof of this affiliation is required when applying (i.e. Letter from academic advisor).
- Successfully completed an ACLP Eligibility Assessment with 10, completed and approved courses, with one being the child life course taught by a certified child life specialist.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA courses within the major
- A commitment to the goals, objectives, and policies of the department
- An interest to investigate the aspects of Child Life and the psychosocial needs of children in a pediatric health care setting
- Letter of request/cover letter
- Submit CLC Common Application
- CLC Eligibility Documentation
- Proof of 100 hours Child Life Practicum experience. Practicum must be under a Certified Child Life Specialist.
- Proof of at minimum 100 hours of volunteer experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families in a variety of settings. All hours must be documented on the ACLP verification form. Experiences where you were paid or received course credit will not be counted.
- 3 letters of Recommendation (one must be from your faculty advisor and one from your practicum supervisor)
- College Transcript (will take unofficial transcripts) – If selected you will be asked to provide official transcripts
Application and Offer Deadlines:
|Internship Session ||Application Deadlines ||Offer Deadlines ||Acceptance Deadlines |
|Fall ||March |
|1st Tues |
|1st Wed |
|Spring ||September |
|2nd Tues of October ||2nd Wed |
Once applications have been reviewed, applicants will be contacted to arrange for interviews. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applicants making it to the second round must be willing to come for an on-site interview.
Contracts will be sent to the University prior to a student starting the internship. The student will be responsible for providing the internship site with:
- A negative TB test result within the past 3 months
- Flu shot
- Measles – Rubeola titer
- Measles – Rubella titer
- Varicella (chicken pox) titer
- Proof of current Healthcare Provider CPR certification
- A $250 internship fee
NOTE: Students are responsible for securing their own housing arrangements.
Mail Completed Application and Documents to the following address:
Children’s of Alabama
Department of Family Services
Attn: Lindsay Joe
1600 7th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
If you have further questions, please contact Lindsay Joe, Internship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.