The Medical Autism Clinic (MAC) is located in The Children's Hospital of Alabama at Birmingham and serves children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). The development of this clinic began with the efforts of a team of doctors who wanted to provide better medical care for those in the ASD spectrum.
The clinic does not replace care (regular check-ups) that a child receives from their pediatrician or health center. The clinic assists a child's doctor by offering a variety of special evaluations with special attention in certain areas that may be affected by autism. These evaluations may not have been done in a pediatrician's office.
Medical Autism Clinic Children's of Alabama
McWane Building, Clinic 1
1600 7th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
Through the Medical Autism Clinic, your child may see specialists for comprehensive medical assessment, including:
- Motor evaluation (if needed)
- Genetic evaluation
- Feeding evaluation
- Speech-language evaluation
- Sleep evaluation
- Behavioral referral
- Hearing test
MAC appointments are made for children who have an ASD and have been referred by their physician to our clinic for additional evaluation.
Two separate visits may be required to complete the assessment. If you have any questions regarding eligibility or to schedule an appointment, please contact our office at 205-638-5277.
Medical Autism Clinic Brochure (PDF)—Includes Visiting Tips
Process for an appointment in the Medical Autism Clinic at Children’s of Alabama
- Fill out the Request for a Specialty Clinic Appointment in the Medical Autism Clinic. Please contact Christy Gaddis at 205-638-5277 to request a copy of this form via fax.
- Patient has to be between the ages of 2-10 who have been diagnosed with ASD or suspected ASD and also have specific medical issues or concerns.
- Attach all required documentation from patient visits (Clinic Notes, Labs, Growth Chart, Insurance Referral, and Insurance Policy Numbers & Demographic Info) and fax to 205-638-2526.
- If patient has Medicaid we require a cascading referral with a current EPSDT date.
- Please fax each patient separately to 205-638-2526.
- We will then verify ALL insurance and documentation received.
- After verification is done we will send the parents a Medical Autism Clinic Intake packet to be completed and returned to us (see intake packet below).
- Once the packet has been received back in our office through mail or our secure fax line we will schedule the appointment.
- We will contact the patient/parent with appointment information and send referring physician/clinic a letter.
Questions or concerns please call us at 205-638-5277.
Process for an appointment in the Medical Autism Clinic (PDF)
Medical Autism Clinic Intake Packet (ages 5 and under)
"Please download the MCHAT questionnaire (using the link below) if your child is not diagnosed with ASD and is between 16 and 30 months of age."
Medical Autism Clinic Intake Packet (ages 6 and above)
Specialty Clinic Appointment Form