University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, 2006
Pediatrics, Medical University of South Caroline Children's Hospital, 2007
Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina Children's Hospital, 2009
Pediatric Cardiology, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt, 2009; Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2013
Caring for critically ill pediatric patients with congenital heart disease, cardiomyopathy, and cardiovascular disease requiring intensive care.
American Board of Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics Subboard of Pediatric Cardiology
1. Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society
2. American Heart Association
3. Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium
4. American Academy of Pediatrics
Honors and Awards
Outstanding Investigator Award Finalist at Cardiology 2014, 17th Annual Update on Pediatrics and Congenital Cardiovascular Disease in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Oral presentation of "Acetaminophen Attenuates Lipid Peroxidation in Children Undergoing Cardiopulmonary Bypass"
Notable Publications and Presentations
1. Law MA, McMahon WS, Hock KM, Zaccagni HJ, Borasino S, Alten JA. Balloon angioplasty for the treatmentof left innominate vein obstruction related chylothorax after cogenital heart surgery. Congenit Heart Dis, 2015 Jan 20 [Epub ahead of Print]
2. F. Bennett Pearce, MD, Waldemar F. Carlo, MD. Hayden J. Zaccagni, MD, Robert J. Dabal, MD, and James K. Kirklin, MD. Repair of Early Posttransplant Endomyocardial Biopsy-Related Tricuspid Regurgitation in a Child. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. 2015 April;6(2):295-7.
3. Hayden Zaccagni MD, Scott A. Simpson, MD, M.S., David P. Bichell, MD, Karla G. Christian, MD, Bret A. Mettler, MD, Brian S. Donahue, MD, Ph.D., L. Jackson Roberts II, MD, Mias Pretorius, M.B.Ch.B., M.S.C.I. Acetaminophen Attenuates Lipid Peroxidation in Children Undergoing Cardiopulmonary Bypass, Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2014 July; 15(6):503-510.
4. Zaccagni HJ, Timpa JG, O'
5. H. J. Zaccagni, L. Kirchner, J. Brownlee and K. Bloom. A case of Plastic Bronchitis Presenting 9 Years After Fontan. Pediatr Cardiol. 2008 Jan; 29(1):157-9.
His clinical interests surround caring for critically ill pediatric patients with congenital heart disease, cardiomyopathy, and cardiovascular disease requiring intensive care. His focus is to continually improve outcomes through quality improvement research, education of clinical care team members and overseeing the team's efforts in a multi institutional collaborative database to bring best practices to the critically ill patients. He also sees patients in the outpatient cardiology clinic to bring a unique perspective to the diverse ICU team.
Special interests: He's a member of the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society, American Heart Association, Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium and the American Acadmy of Pedatrics.