Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital Pedaitric Surgery
ntestinal failure, short bowel syndrome, surgical intestinal lengthening
American Board of Surgery; American Board of Pediatric Surgery; Advanced Trauma Life Support; Pediatric Advanced Life Support
Association for Academic Surgery Medical Association of the State of Alabama American College of Surgeons Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons American Medical Association Society of Black Academic Surgeons American Pediatric Surgery Association American Academy of Pediatrics Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Trac
Honors and Awards
Paul J. Haigh Book Award (Physics Dept.) 1998: Top GPA in Physics Department South Atlantic Conference Student Athlete of the year 1998 and 1999 Biology Honor Society, 1996-1999 Who’s Who among students in American Colleges and Universities, 1999-2000 Lyle E. Heavner Memorial Scholarship Wayne State University 1999-2003 1st Place Poster Presentation Wayne State University Research Symposium 2001 Joseph Ferguson, M.D. Research Award 2003 Finalist Medical Student Teaching Award 2005-2006 Finalist Cincinnati Surgical Society Research Competition 2007
No time in service; no commitments
Notable Publications and Presentations
1. Courtney Culbreth, Scott M. Tanner, Taylor F. Berryhill, Robin G. Lorenz, and Colin A. Martin, MD. Environmental Mediated Intestinal Homeostasis in Neonates. Journal of Surgical Research 2015; 198(2):494-501
2. Scott M. Tanner, Taylor F. Berryhill, James L. Ellenburg, Tamas Jilling, Dava Sue Cleveland, Robin G. Lorenz, and Colin A. Martin, MD. Necrotizing Enterocolitis: Experimental Modeling and Innate Immunity. American Journal of Pathology. 2015; 185(1): 4-16
3. Kavita Nadendla, Amelia Sutton, David Kelley, Reed Dimmitt, Carroll Harmon, Linda Wilkinson, Michelle Shroyer, and Colin A. Martin, MD. Quintuplets: 5 Cases of NEC. Are there other risk factors? Journal of Fetal and Pediatric Pathology. 2016;35(6):425-433. Epub 2016 Aug 23
4. Colin A. Martin, MD, Mikita Patel, and Brian Sims MD. Erythropoietin-Induced Cytoprotection in Intestinal Epithelial Cells is linked to System Xc-. Experimental Cell Research. 2017; 352(2):202-206
5. Scott M Tanner, Joseph G Daft, Stephanie A. Hill, Colin A. Martin, MD, and Robin G Lorenz. Altered T Cell Balance in Lymphoid Organs of a Mouse Model of Colorectal Cancer. Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry. 2016; 64(12):753-767.
Dr. Martin is an Assistant Professor of Surgery
Patient Care Emphasis:
Gastrointestinal surgery, neonatal surgery, and thoracic surgery.
Dr. Martin's interest lies in intestinal mucosal biology and innate immunity.